CiviDiscount - Learn how to create discount codes for events
Organizations often want to be able to offer discounts on events or memberships. For example, your members may benefit from discounted pricing for your annual fundraiser. CiviDiscount is a robust extension to CiviCRM that allows you to create discount codes which users can redeem when making payments for a contribution or an event. In this blog post, we will cover how to use CiviDiscount specifically for events. There are even more options available, but this will cover the basics for starters.
As with any extension, CiviDiscount needs to be downloaded and installed outside of the CiviCRM install process. If you are a Cividesk customer, simply ask us and we will get CiviDiscount installed for you. If you are not yet a Cividesk customer, you can read this article to learn how to install extensions in CiviCRM.
Once you have the extension installed, you will have access to a new menu item under Administer -> CiviDiscount.
Click CiviDiscount to get to the configuration options.
On the CiviDiscount screen, you will see all of your current discount codes and their parameters. In the Usage column, you can see how many times the discount code has been used. By clicking on the number, you will have access to the list of contacts who have actually used the discount code.
Q: How do I enter a new discount code?
A: Click the New Discount Code button.
- You can either type in a code in or you can have CiviCRM generate a random code by clicking the button.
- Add a description of the code. This way you and your colleagues know what the code is used for.
- Enter either a number for percentage or a fixed amount discount. Be sure to select the appropriate dropdown options as well.
- Add a Usage Limit if you want to limit the number of times a code can be used.
- Add an Activation and Expiration Date if there are limited dates between which the code can be used.
- Enter an Organization to track the code to a given organization, you will see this every time the code is used on the organization record.
- The Price Field Options let you establish which price fields of a Price Set are associated with this discount. This means that if you have a price set for an event and you want to give a free shirt for those with a specific code, you can apply your discount only to the price field for the shirt.
- You can click the check box for Display a message to users not eligible for this discount? and you will be given the option to control this message.
Now, you can determine if your code is used as a discount for events or memberships. In this blog, we will select an event. Expand the Discount for events section. From here you can select the specific event(s) that this code covers or the event type. Both of these fields allow for multiple items to be selected.