I'm not a robot!
Enabling reCAPTCHA on Profiles
While using the Internet you have probably stumbled across many CAPTCHAs. CAPTCHAs are the tools that make you enter a word, solve a math problem, pick a picture, etc. to prove you are a human. CAPTCHAs are an important defense against SPAM bots (automated SPAM creators) from filling out forms on your site.
CiviCRM uses Google's reCAPTCHA1 - the initial challenge has the visitor click on a box that says, "I'm not a robot.", this triggers an algorithm to determine if another challenge is needed to confirm that the user is not a robot.
In CiviCRM, reCAPTCHA is added in the settings of a profile as follows:
- Navigate to Administer > Customize Data and Screens > Profiles
- Click on the Settings hyperlink to the right-hand side of the profile in question
- Expand the Advanced Settings section, click the Include reCAPTCHA checkbox
- Scroll to the bottom of the form and click the Save button
- To add reCAPTCHA to an online contribution or event page:
- Navigate to Contributions > Manage Contribution Pages or Events > Manage Events:
- Click on the Configure hyperlink tot he right-hand side of the contribution or event page in question, then:
- Click Include Profiles if adding the profile to a contribution page
- Click Online Registration if adding the profile to an event
- You have the option to Include Profile (top of page) and Include Profile (bottom of page)2
IMPORTANT: If you are using different profiles for an event that allows for additional participant registration, be sure to include reCAPTCHA only on the profile for the main registrant - if you add reCAPTCHA to the profile used for additional participants, participants will not be able to complete the event registration.
- The reCAPTCHA challenge will only be presented to anonymous users (i.e. those who are not logged in), so to test the feature, use an incognito window to navigate to the contribution or event page to which you added the profile - (if you are logged in, CiviCRM will not present you the reCAPTCHA challenge since you are an authenticated user)
1. All Cividesk clients are configured with default reCAPTCHA keys to enable this feature.
2. Forms generally flow better if the profile enabled with reCAPTCHA is added tot he bottom of the page.